The Institute of Forecasting and Macroeconomic Research operates Under under presidential Resolutions no.PP-3752 of May 29, 2018 "on measures to improve the activities of research institutions in the socio-economic sphere" and no. PP-4653 of March 26, 2020 "on the organization of the activities of the Ministry of economic development and poverty reduction of the Republic of Uzbekistan, as well as its subordinate organizations".
The institute was established to carry out in-depth macroeconomic research that helps to develop a solid scientific and methodological base to forecast macroeconomic indicators and prepare proposals. These proposals serve as the basis to formulate government policy that contributes to achieve higher socio-economic development, better modernization and structural changes in the economy, and longer macroeconomic stability in future.
Main tasks and activities of the Institute:
- formation of scientific and methodological foundations of a system of strategic planning and development concepts, comprehensive, targeted, sectoral and regional programs aimed at ensuring socio-economic development of the country in the short, medium and long-term periods in conditions of liberalization of the economy, improving the intellectual, technological and innovative capacity of the country to improve the welfare of the population;
- development of modern tools for predictive modelling based on advanced foreign experience, assessment of the impact of macroeconomic policy measures on the development of the national economy, its delete spheres and territories;
- participation in the development of a strategy for structural changes in the economy aimed at improving the competitiveness of domestic products in the domestic and foreign markets, the effectiveness of the foreign economic activity, and preparing proposals for the most important areas of modernization and diversification of the country's economy;
- preparation of evidence-based proposals for further deepening the reform and liberalization of the economy, ensuring the priority role of private property, and broad implementation of market methods and mechanisms of economic management;
- participation in the development of strategies and programs for integrated and balanced socio-economic development of regions, providing for the reduction of interregional imbalances in the economy through effective use of investment and resource potential of territories, further stimulating the development of small businesses, innovative entrepreneurship and improving the investment climate;
- preparation of proposals on strategic directions for the introduction of advanced resource-saving and innovative technologies, energy efficiency of the economy, and the introduction and development of renewable energy sources;
- assistance in the development of methodological foundations for the formation of the state reserve and the country's food security strategy;
- * formation of medium - and long-term forecasts of demographic development, followed by the development of forecast balances of labour resources, as well as innovative measures and mechanisms aimed at expanding the range of social services provided to the population;
- conducting a systematic analysis of various components of the level and quality of life, the dynamics of the population's well-being, including the size and sources of its income, and the structure of consumer spending;
- calculation of the minimum consumer basket and the subsistence minimum, followed by the development of proposals to ensure further growth in the purchasing power of the population;
- extensive discussion of the results of economic reforms in the media and scientific publications, during conferences, round tables and seminars with the involvement of domestic and foreign experts, representatives of the business community.
In the process of implementing research activities, the Institute:
- constantly interacts with structural divisions of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the Ministry of economic development and poverty reduction, the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of investment and foreign trade, and the Central Bank of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
- jointly with the Central economic authorities of the Republic, interested ministries and departments, develops conceptual approaches to research areas in the field of macroeconomics and socio-economic development;
- performs system research and processing of relevant information using modern computer technology and software;
- prepares and publishes information, analytical and other research materials on the main activities of the Institute;
- organizes problem-oriented discussions, "round tables", conferences, symposiums with the participation of scientists, national and international researchers, and policy makers;
- participates in international conferences, symposiums, and seminars on the Institute's core issues;
- establishes, develops and strengthens scientific and business ties with foreign research, consulting and training Centers, and concludes cooperation agreements with them.
In its activities, the Institute is accountable to the Ministry of economic development and poverty reduction of the Republic of Uzbekistan. The Ministry of economic development and poverty reduction of the Republic of Uzbekistan is directly responsible for coordinating and managing the scientific and practical activities of the Institute of forecasting and macroeconomic research.
The highest body of the Institute is the Academic Council, which consists of the Director and Deputy Directors of the Institute, leading specialists and scientists, as well as highly professional specialists of the Cabinet of Ministers, ministries and departments of the Republic.
At the meetings of the Academic Council, programs and plans of research work are discussed, reports of research project managers on the progress and results of the research are heard, the results and quality of research are evaluated, and decisions are made on other important issues of scientific and administrative activities of the Institute.